Tips to improve your summary writing skills using TED talks
1. Watch a TED talk on a topic which interests you or is relevant to your studies. Just listen carefully for the first time and don’t use subtitles.
2. Watch the talk again and make notes on the key points.
3. Write a short summary of up to 100 words.
4. Then listen to the talk again and pause and replay parts which may have been difficult to understand. Use subtitles if necessary.
5. Check any new words in a dictionary if you feel they are important to understand the context of any key parts of the talk.
6. Modify your summary if necessary.
7. Read your summary to another friend and see how much they understand!